Thursday 1 May 2014

Embrace Adventure with Claudia Moore: Dancing with Titanium Hips


In the weeks leading up to Guelph Dance Festival 2014, some of the Festival artists will share their vision with us here on the blog. These intimate, behind-the-scenes looks will bring us closer to the artistry, process, and experience of dance. We encourage you to not just read these amazing stories, but to ask questions and engage in conversation about dance in our comments section below. Embrace adventure with us in 2014!

Claudia Moore shares a bit about her experience working with choreographer Susanna Hood. MOonhORsE Dance Theatre performs at In the Studio on Saturday, May 31 at 4pm and Sunday, June 1 at 2pm at the Dancetheatre David Earle Studio. Tickets are available now through the River Run Centre Box Office!
Claudia Moore in rehearsal for Beside You by Susanna Hood. Photo by Omer Yukseker.
Claudia: I’m excited to perform Beside You at the In the Studio series at GDF. I commissioned the work from Susanna Hood for my solo evening, Escape Artist, to celebrate my 60th birthday. It’s based on a poem by P. K. Page. Here is some writing I did on February 10, 2012, after my first creation week with Susanna: 

“Susanna began with improvisations in order to consider my abilities and our process together. What a wild ride for me. I was a bit discouraged after our first day. Improvising is difficult for me due to my physical limitations. I have titanium hips and can’t attack improvisations with the total abandon of my younger body. The tasks became arduous for the wrong reasons and I despaired. Luckily, my mentor, Tedd Robinson, always has words of wisdom for me. “Talk to her. Keep your emotions out of it, but be clear about your physical reality”. I did speak to Susanna and she understood exactly what I was going through; she sometimes struggles with recurring injuries. She adapted her process accordingly and we had a fruitful week together. I was swept away by Susanna’s process; her directions took me to new and profound places. On the final day she put the small pieces we had worked on together in a compelling 10 minute sequence. We are excited to continue.”
Photo of Claudia Moore by Tamara Romanchuk.
Claudia Moore, performer, curator and artistic director of MOonhORsE dance theatre, has been a force on the Canadian dance scene since the late 70’s. She founded MOonhORsE Dance Theatre in 1996 and continues to perform commissioned works through her company. Claudia's major performance projects include a full-evening duet work with performer Dan Wild, Dances in a Small Room (2009), choreographed by Tedd Robinson and James Kudelka, and a solo evening, Escape Artist (2013), choreographed by Paul-Andre Fortier, Susanna Hood, Christopher House and GADFLY (Apolonia Velasquez and Ofilio Portillo). Moore’s acclaimed series for senior and intergenerational dance artists, Older & Reckless, will celebrate its fifteenth season next year. Claudia was a resident artist at the Young Centre for the Performing Arts, 2008-2010, and has received the Jacqueline Lemieux award for excellence in dance.  www.moonhorsedance.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dance outside the box here!