Monday 7 March 2016

Why I Love Guelph Dance

This month, guest blogger Michelle Miller, shares with us why she loves Guelph Dance. Michelle serves as the Vice President of Guelph Dance's Board of Directors, and she is one of our biggest champions!



I have been one of Guelph Dance’s biggest cheerleaders since its inception almost 20 years ago, when performances were presented in a church basement. I was so thrilled to be able to see live dance in my hometown. And thrilled that there was an audience of people yearning to see and experience dance and performance that was a little more on the edge. I had studied theatre at the University of Guelph, and unfortunately never quite found my footing in a community of like-minded theater people here. The interest in dance in the community seemed promising. Soon, the Guelph Contemporary Dance Festival came into being, and I became one of GD’s most loyal audience members. I shouted from the rooftops; I gathered my friends; I rallied my family to come out and support each and every festival.



Years later I became a board member and began to get an inside view of just how much work it takes to mount the Festival year after year! It is done by total hard work and devotion by the staff, board, and many volunteers that gather at festival time. What has been amazing during the six years that I have been on the board is the dedication that Guelph Dance members and founders have to restructure the organization to keep the Festival moving forward and upward. After 17 years, Guelph Dance has strength and vitality. Those involved have a wonderful spirit and incredible stamina that I find very inspiring. I am honoured to be a part of this organization.


I devote my time to Guelph Dance because we continually talk about pushing boundaries, of trying new ways to reach audiences and engage them. I love that we create opportunities for national and international artists and at the same time support all of our excellent local talent as well. I love that each year the Festival brings something totally different. It keeps me on my toes! That’s exciting. And it keeps me coming back for more.

Let us know why YOU love Guelph Dance! Go ahead and post it directly to our Facebook page!

Michelle is a jeweller by trade. Check out her cool loops and swirls at www.mimijewellery.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dance outside the box here!